Load Banks In The Mining Sector
Testing solutions from the world’s leading loadbank manufacturer. Load banks are used for the commissioning of new engines and turbines at island-operation, decentralised power plants, as well for power plant expansions.
- The vast majority of mining is off-grid. The engines are significant in size and value, and even though they are factory tested, they should be properly commissioned to ensure they are able to run effectively following transportation, and under actual site conditions.
- Running a generator on full load helps to avoid “wet stacking” where the engine’s performance is compromised by unburnt fuel, lubricating oil and condensation caused by a light load on the alternator and low engine temperature and exhaust gasses.
- Using a load bank to simulate actual demand will prove whether the controls and switch panels work as expected under real conditions.
- Regular “black start” testing will ensure that in the event of a power failure the standby system is capable of taking on the full load in 10 to 15 seconds of the generator starting.
- Frequent operation of the automatic transfer switch (ATS), which regulates the sequence of large load application and shedding, for example lifts, HVAC motors and compressors, will facilitate its long term proper operation.
- Regular discharge of the UPS using a DC load bank will ensure it can be maintained in its fully charged state for as long as possible.
- Load testing of the total demand will ensure that any changes to the power profile of the building or process can be monitored – such as a change or upgrade in the A/C or heating, lifts or other machinery or a change in the generator itself (e.g. fuel, air flow, acoustics or change in the exhaust).
As part of Crestchic’s expansion strategy in the USA, we have recruited Steven Bacon, an experienced sales professional with a power generation background, as our new Business Development Manager. Steven will undertake market positioning research and look to further...
WHY USE A LOAD BANK?
Load banks are primarily used for testing electrical power output on diesel generators, gas turbines and UPS systems whilst carrying out commissioning and maintenance work.
The load banks are used for simulating real electrical loads enabling essential setup and commissioning which ensures that all electrical and control parameters are met prior to power generation/back up equipment being energized on line.